We understand what a joy it is when you bring a new pet into your home. Regardless of the species – dog, cat, rabbit, hamster or even iguana – a pet becomes part of our lives and we are honoured you chose us to take care of his or her health needs. We also know that quite often there may be a nagging thought in the back of your mind about what will happen when the time comes to say goodbye.
Research among pet owners carried out by Compassion Understood found that 21% of owners would like to know more about end-of-life care and euthanasia options at a time when their pet is fit and healthy, leaving 79% who prefer to leave thinking about it until later in their pet’s life.
Every pet owner and their situation is unique and we like to be as open as possible about the subject of euthanasia and offer advice and support. We are pleased to let you know that Powis and Partners Veterinary Practice is a Compassion Understood Platinum Accredited Practice, which means that all of our team have taken specialist training to ensure that we can help you prepare for your pets end-of-life and offer support to you and your family whatever choices you make about your pet’s euthanasia.
You may find it helpful to visit the Compassion Understood website and if you have any specific questions or you would like further information about a topic, do give us a call and ask to speak to one of our team members who will be able to help you.
Our pets rely on us to make the best decision for them.
Having to make the decision to have your pet put to sleep is one of the hardest decisions you will ever make in your life. Sometimes, people are tempted to delay the moment of euthanasia, because we anticipate our intense grief. But it is important to think about what is best for your pet, not yourself.
Euthanasia is a peaceful and dignified procedure.
Do not ever feel guilty for making the decision and being with your pet when this happens. Be proud that you have given them back their freedom from pain and suffering.
After losing your pet, the most important thing is to recognise that the loss is a serious event that society does not always respect or understand. The important thing is, that you take care of yourself and grieve for your pet in any way you see fit.
Euthanasia, sadly, is a huge part of our job but it is something we never get accustomed to. We regularly have people say ‘I couldn’t do your job’. Truth is, it affects us all deeply each time we have to do this, but, we are doing it for the right reasons.